The hospital has 281 operational beds. There is a workforce of 1600 staff, who provides a range of highly specialised services extending to 250,000 people in the area.
The mainstream acute services provided by the Hospital cover the following specialties:
Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Breast Care, ENT, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Paediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynaecology, Medicine, Cardiology, Endocrinology Dermatology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Respiratory Medicine, Rheumatology, Nephrology, Oncology, Palliative Medicine, Haematology, Microbiology, Oral and Maxillofacial, Orthodontics, Pathology, Anaesthesia, Radiology. In addition, Services in Immunology and Radiation Oncology are provided via University College Hospital, Galway. A full range of clinical and non-clinical support services are provided, including Theatres, CSSD, Pharmacy, Laboratory, Medical Records, Social Work and Therapies.
The acute medicine service at the Hospital is provided by 7 Consultant Physicians (which includes 3 Consultant Physicians in Geriatric Medicines and 1 locum position) This post will be the 4th Consultant Geriatrician post.The Acute Assessment Unit (AAU) was opened in June 2008. This AAU provides for the care of acute medical and surgical patients referred to the Hospital by their GPs and functions as the interface between primary care as the first point of contact and inpatient care in the rest of the hospital.
In addition, a 15 bedded medical short stay ward opened in December 2012.
The Medical Speciality at the Hospital currently functions with a complement of 7 (8th post pending) consultants providing acute GIM on call. The sub speciality interests include Cardiology, Gastroenterology, and Care of the Elderly, Stroke Care, Endocrinology and Respiratory Medicine. The medical speciality is progressive department treating in excess of 7800 inpatients, 5,000 Daycases and 17,000 outpatients per year. The hospital provides a 24/7 stroke thrombolysis service which is led out by the Department of Geriatric Medicine in conjunction with ED. The Geriatricians’ also manage a 12 bed Stroke unit & Medical Rehabilitation beds are provided within the St John’s Hospital (located in close proximity to the hospital). Step down beds are also available at a number of peripheral community hospitals.
In 2016, the hospital commenced a frail elderly improvement project: phase 1, included the development of a specialist gerontology ward, recruitment of a CNS and team. A new frailty pathway commenced and Phase 2 is focused on the development of a specialist integrated community based team to support frail older people in the community.
- Initial contract of 6-12 months. Might have a possibility of extension.
- Approximate net monthly salary of 6500-7500€ net/month after tax and pension deductions for Consultant positions. Could have the possibility to earn more money through private patients attending the hospital. Typical long term Consultants in Ireland are earning in excess of 10.000€ net/month (approximately 200.000€ gross/year).
- 31 working days per Year holidays for Consultants+ public holidays (there is 9 in a year).
- 7 study days leave per year to attend conferences or further education for Consultants.
- Up to 3000€ for educational funding for Consultants.
- Lucrative pension scheme included.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Should be on the Specialist registrar of the Irish Medical Council for Geriatrics if this is NOT the case we will help all eligible candidates to get registered with the Irish Medical Council on the Specialist Registrar if he/she has completed his training in Geriatrics inside the European Union. Please take into account that the process can take up to 3-4 months in total.
- Have a very good command of written and spoken English.
- Good motivation to go to Ireland to work as a doctor ASAP.
4. At least 5-6 years experience in Geriatrics is required (including your training years).
5. Irish/UK Experience is preferable although NOT essential for this post.
6. EU Citizenship is prefered.
All candidates who are interested should send a detailed CV in English ASAP. Extra and more precise information on the job places will be given once we receive the CVs.