IsMyJob — Preston, Lancashire
£18,720.00 - £20,800.00 (depending on experience)
We are looking for a skilled Maintenance worker to carry out practical maintenance jobs in a Residential Home or Sheltered Housing and associated offices. As an accredited Investor in People, our Client cares for Service-users and staff. You will bring your energy and commitment to delivering the best service possible. Our Client’s core values are based on: Integrity; Responsiveness; Teamwork; Successful outcomes; and Fulfilment.
General Qualities Required:
- Reliability with a keen eye for details.
- Experience and solid technical knowledge.
- Manual dexterity and physical stamina.
- Being a key member of the staff team and contributing to the organisation’s health & safety, by being responsible for general maintenance and repairs within the properties.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Good communicator.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as being part of the team.
- Driving will be required, possessing and maintaining a full, clean UK driving licence. An enhanced DBS disclosure.
- Painting and decorating
- Electrical maintenance
- Repairing fixtures and fittings
- Doing health and safety inspections
- Assembling furniture and service user accessories
- Keep records up to date
- Obtaining cost estimates and quotations, and provide budget information.
Responsibilities include but not be limited to:
- Carry out decorating and redecorating as directed
- Ensure smooth running of plant machinery and equipment, including gas, electric, refrigeration, and water installation
- Complete maintenance checks identified in the maintenance manuals and regulative checks
- Ensure health & safety of yourself, Service Users, staff and contractors and visitors
- Safe handling of equipment and chemicals
- Electrical, Plumbing and Joinery work
- Be available for emergency call outs
- Conduct maintenance tasks such as replacing light bulbs
- Perform minor fixes such as repairing broken locks, filling cracks on walls, glazing, etc.
- Inspect, troubleshoot and report on equipment and systems (e.g., ventilation, plumbing) and ensure their routine maintenance
- Check control panels and electrical wiring to identify issues
- Install appliances and equipment
- Do garden/yard upkeep by mowing lawn, collecting trash, and manage waste disposal, check on pest control, etc.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of leaves, dirt and blockages
- Check functionality of safety systems (e.g. fire alarm) and ensure their routine maintenance, and record all inspections
- Assist in emergency evacuations and fire drills & carry out weekly fire checks
- PAT testing of electrical equipment
- Liaise with external contractors
- Collaborate with workers and other professionals during renovations
- Report to a manager all issues requiring attention to achieve compliance with health and safety requirements
- Perform cleaning activities such as dusting, mopping etc. after completing each task.
- 5.6 weeks holiday per year
- Comprehensive induction programme
- Pension plan
- Free car parking (first come first serve basis)
- Continuing professional development
Qualities and/or specific skills required:
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Sound command of spoken and written English;
- Numerate i.e. manage numbers;
- Basic computer skills to record data in digital systems;
- Team work and problem-solving skills.
- Skills transfer from previous experiences.
- Awareness of the issues faced by people who need care and support, such as older or disabled people, and children in care
- Skill in carpentry, plumbing, decorating or electrical repairs
- Knowledge of health and safety
- Ability to work at height (for which we provide refresher training)
- Experience in a social care and health setting.
- basic knowledge of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning; plumbing; and electrical systems
- Experience using hand tools and electrical tools
- Ability to read technical manuals and drawings
- Physical stamina and dexterity
- Flexible approach in the workplace to be able to respond and re-prioritise tasks.
Education and qualifications
- Qualifications showing good English and number skills such as GCSE A-C in English and maths.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Trade qualifications
- Successful completion of an apprenticeship is preferred
- A 17th or 18th edition electrical certificate would be advantageous, or willing to work towards the qualification.
- Proof of previous experience in a similar role or a qualification in one aspect of maintenance, such as plumbing or gardening might be sufficient
Posted on: 2020-06-26